Smoked Pork Belly with Mac and Cheese
This is a very simple recipe to prepare and cook.
If you will be cooking on the coals then you want to ensure you can maintain a low temperature consistently and for the length of the cook, You will be using indirect heat with a lid on BBQ.
If you really want to there will be no harm in using your Oven but you will lose the smokiness of the BBQ. If this is all you are cooking then you may want to choose the oven over the BBQ but it is a highly rewarding cook.
The Mac and Cheese again is a really easy dish provided that you use a good extra mature or vintage cheese.
For the Pork 15 Mins
For the Mac & Cheese 15 Mins
For the Pork 3:30 Hours
For the Mac & Cheese 45 Mins
4 ( Double as required )
For the Pork
- 500g Pork Belly Slices
- Cut to the Smoke “Three Chilli Sweet” Dry Rub
- Sesame seeds (Garnish)
For the BBQ Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 4 Tbsp Hawkshead black garlic ketchup (Or a little brown sauce)
- 8 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sweet chilli sauce
- 1 Tsp Paprika
For the Mac and Cheese
- 250g Pasta Tubes, Macaroni or your choice
- 200g Good extra mature cheddar (Grated)
- 50g Butter
- 4 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 250ml Milk
- 2 Tbsp Panko Breadcrumbs
- 50g Panko breadcrumbs
For the Pork
- Cut your pork belly into cubes 1 Inch in size
- Lightly oil and dust with Cut to the smoke “Three Chilli Sweet” Dry seasoning.
- Place on a wire rack in your BBQ or Oven and cook at 100C for 2 1/2 – 3 Hours or until the pork has taken on a deep colour and has begun to slightly char.
- Place the pork in a disposable foil tray or another roasting pan that allows the pork to be glazed BUT not sitting in a deep puddle of Sauce (You are looking for this to glaze not braise)
- Cook for 60 – 80 Minutes at 120C so that your internal temperatures are around 90C
For the Sauce
- This one is really easy (Combine everything into a saucepan and heat slowly until it starts to bubble)
- Keep stirring occasionally and remove from the heat after it has begun to boil (Do not let this boil or it will start to caramelise)
For the Mac & Cheese
- Boil your pasta in salted water for 30 minutes (Stir occasionally to prevent from sticking together)
- Heat your butter in a saucepan until melted and add your flour until it begins to form a paste, cook for a further 30 seconds until it starts to have the appearance of dough.
- Slowly add milk in 2 – 3 Tbsp increments adding it more frequently and in greater quantities so as to not form lumps in your sauce.
- Slowly bring to a simmer continuously stirring (Do not boil)
- Towards the end add your cheddar (Keep a little leftover for the top of your bake) and a little salt to taste.
- Drain your pasta and add to a shallow ovenproof pan and cover with the cheese sauce
- Add your Panko breadcrumbs and grated cheese to the top of your bake and cook on 200C for 45 minutes or until golden brown. You may want to crisp up the top under the grill to your own personal taste.
Serve all dishes together and you will surely find the BBQ pork pairs very well with the Mac & Cheese.