Irresistible Easy Cornbread
Cornbread is a fantastic accompaniment to any BBQ as it tastes great and goes with pretty much anything.
It is incredibly easy to make and can be made in advance of any cook to be served with any main of your choice.
For us, it pairs fantastically with brisket or pulled pork as a side dish.
Be aware that the mix for this is inherently wet and will appear like it will not form up into any form of bread or cake-like substance, but it will after a good hour bake turn golden brown where you can slice this up into portions ready to serve.
This particular bake is a little softer than your usual cornbread recipe but this lends itself to be less of a dry side dish
6 – 8
- 110G flour (Plain)
- 80g cornmeal (polenta grain)
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tin Corn, it will be around 360g after the liquid is drained (Retain a small amount of the liquid)
- 2 Eggs (Beaten)
- 115g Unsalted Butter
- 230g Sour Cream
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 170C
- Mix your flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- Take your corn and retain a small handful of kernels (This is to have a few kernels in your finished product so adjust to your requirements)
- Blitz the remaining corn along with a little of the liquid from the original can (1 – 2 Tbsp)
- Add the corn along with the eggs, butter, sour cream and oil to your bowl of dry ingredients.
- we oven baked the cornbread in a shallow cast-iron prospector pan, but you can do the same in a casserole dish. (Note, it will rise only by around 1/4 of its original size and you want to have a depth of ingredients around 1 inch thick no more)
- Bake for around 60 minutes or until golden brown. Whilst warm it will feel a little loose but once it starts to cool you should be able to slice into squares and serve.
This is a great accompaniment to pulled pork or brisket